Photo Gallery - page 1 of 5

Photographs of Fort Miles

Battery Herring - 221

1942

N3845.939 W07504.967

Named after Lt Colonel Ralph E. Herring, a former
Coast Artillery officer. The BC station was once located
on the top. Shielded 6-inch guns and barbette carriages.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 104}


The Navy Hydroponics building was torn
down leaving only the original battery.


Gun emplacement #1 & entrance.

Rear of battery.

Gun emplacement #2.

Interior corridor.

Power equipment.

Power equipment.

Battery Hunter - 222

1942

N 3847.297 W07505.329 (USCGS "North Radar Tower")

Named for Colonel Charles Hunter, a former Coast
Artillery officer. (Name on battery: Henry Hunter)
Shielded 6-inch guns on barbette carriages.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 104}


BC station on top of battery. A birdwatching deck was built above.

A radar tower site also on top.

Entrance at #1.

Gun emplacement #1.

Entrance at #2 (buried).

Rear Entrance.

155mm Battery (Panama mounts)

Located next to the parking lot at the beach bathhouse.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 190}


Gun pad #4. N 3847.204 W07505.308

Gun pad #3. N 3847.179 W07505.292

Gun pad #2. N 3847.163 W07505.282

Another view of #2, showing these to be semi-circular.

Gun pad #1 under the beach house boardwalk.
N 3847.147 W07505.261

A cable hut in front of gun #1.

HOME | NEXT