Christians Living Under A Curse
Proverbs 26:2, "As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come."
A. The presence of an Active "Curse" on an individual or family is an indication that it is Deserved --- otherwise, it would be Ineffective.
1. Neither Satanism, witchcraft, nor the devil himself --- has the power to place a curse on a Child of God.
2. Hebrews 2:14, "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"
3. James 4:7, "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
4. Romans 6:14, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."
B. However, if a Christian is Not Living For God --- it is an entirely Different Story.
1. I Corinthians 5:2-5, "And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. --- In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
2. I John 5:16, "If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it."
C. The curses, if they "Stick," indicate a Violation of A Basic Command of God.
1. Before Satan can place a "Curse" upon any Christian, that person must Already Be Under A Curse (or judgment) of God.
2. Keep in mind, we are not talking about the Curse of The Law --- Christ took care of that for us.
Galatians 3:13, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:"
Some Christians Are Living Under A Curse From God:
Not Superstition --- But Reality
I. Christians Who Tolerate Moral Impurity.
A. Proverbs 3:33, "The curse of the LORD [is] in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just."
1. The word "Wicked" (rasha) indicates more than just wickedness, it is related to Moral Impurity.
2. This includes those who look upon moral impurity as a lifestyle --- those who keep impure literature, magazines, music, pictures, movies, etc. in their homes.
3. Those who tell or listen to impure jokes and consider it neither offensive nor inappropriate.
4. Those who participate in these activities to Gain The Approval of Their Peers.
B. The word "House" (bayith) indicates much more than just the abode of the wicked.
1. It includes the "Family" where moral impurity is either condoned or approved.
2. It can also be translated "Daughter," which indicates that God places a curse upon the family and especially the daughters --- as well as the very house and property owned by the morally wicked.
C. The morally wicked include those who commit:
1. Incest --- Moral impurity between blood relatives.
(Deut. 27:22-23; Lev. 20:11-12)
2. Bestiality --- Any activity of moral impurity between a human and an animal of any kind.
(Deut. 27:21; Lev. 20:15-16; Exo. 22:19)
Romans 1:26-28, "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"
4. Adultery --- Sexual relations with someone other than your marriage partner --- it may also include looking upon a woman with lust.
a. Leviticus 20:10, "And the man that committeth adultery with [another] man's wife, [even he] that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."
b. God's most severe judgments have been reserved for those guilty of sexual immorality.
(1) Noah and the flood, --- Ham ...,
(2) The Cannanites,
(3) Sodom and Gomorrah,
(4) Abraham and Hagar,
(5) David (Psa. 38) ...
5. Literature --- T. V. --- Movies --- etc.
Matthew 5:27-29, "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell."
II. Christians Who Are Deceitful In Serving God.
A. Jeremiah 48:10, "Cursed [be] he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully,"
B. II Chronicles 25:2, "And he did [that which was] right in the sight of the LORD, but not with a perfect heart."
1. Judah --- Jeremiah 3:10, "And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD."
2. Israel --- Hosea 10:2, "Their heart is divided; now shall they be found faulty: he shall break down their altars, he shall spoil their images."
3. Jehu --- II Kings 10:31, "But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin."
C. II Kings 17:33, "They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence."
D. Luke 16:13, "No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
1. I Corinthians 10:21, "Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils."
2. James 1:8, "A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways."
3. James 4:8, "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded."
E. Malachi 2:2, "If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay [it] to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay [it] to heart."
III. Christians Who Rob God.
A. Malachi 3:8, "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye [are] cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me,"
B. Includes those who See A Need And Refuse To Assist in the meeting of that need.
1. Proverbs 28:27, "He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse."
2. Financial --- Physical --- Emotional --- Mental --- Spiritual
C. Those who see the Vast Need of The Lost in the world --- and refuse to give of their finances or themselves to meet Their Need For Christ as Saviour.
D. You may think that you are getting by with robbing God --- however, remember, God is patient and long-suffering --- but His judgment is sure ...
IV. Christians Who Do Not Honor Their Parents.
A. Deuteronomy 27:16, "Cursed [be] he that setteth light by his father or his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen."
1. Hold his parents in contempt.
2. Brings dishonor to his parents.
3. Shows disrespect for God's chain of authority.
B. There are several Evidences of A Dishonoring Spirit in a child:
1. Stubbornness or Rebellion. ---
2. Despising Mother. ---
3. Cursing Father / Mother. ---
4. Striking Parents. ---
a. Ephesians 6:1-3, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."
b. Exodus 20:12, "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."
6. Failure To Provide For Parents.
a. Mark 7:10-13, "For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, [It is] Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; [he shall be free]. And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother; Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye."
b. I Timothy 5:3-8, "Honour widows that are widows indeed. But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God. Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day. But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth. And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless. But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."
V. Christians Who Do Not Bless Israel (Natural and Spiritual).
A. Natural Israel:
Genesis 12:2-3, "And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed."
B. Spiritual Israel:
1. Romans 9:7-8, "Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, [are they] all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these [are] not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed."
2. Galatians 3:16, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ." --- V. 22, "But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe." --- V. 29, "And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."
3. Galatians 4:28-29, "Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him [that was born] after the Spirit, even so [it is] now."
C. God's Servants should be held in high esteem.
1. Psalms 105:15, "[Saying], Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm."
2. Numbers 12:1-2, "And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard [it]." --- V. 8-11, "... wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses? And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed. And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam [became] leprous, [white] as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, [she was] leprous. And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned."
D. When a Christian Becomes Critical or Divisive --- other Christians need to get out of the way because lightning is about to strike.
1. Titus 3:10, "A man that is an heretick (divisive) after the first and second admonition reject;"
2. Proverbs 6:16, "These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:" --- V. 19, "... he that soweth discord among brethren."
VI. Those Who Compromise With Idolatry.
A. Joshua 6:18, "And ye, in any wise keep [yourselves] from the accursed thing, lest ye make [yourselves] accursed,"
B. Deuteronomy 7:25-26, "The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold [that is] on them, nor take [it] unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it [is] an abomination to the LORD thy God. Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: [but] thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it [is] a cursed thing."
C. Anything that is believed to have Power To Bring Good Luck or blessings, is an abomination to the Lord and brings a curse into the home which houses it.
1. In fact, the Hebrew literally says that this house become --- "Dedicated For Destruction."
2. Statues of Mary, Christ, Saints, heathen gods, medallions, jewelry, art, artifacts, good luck charms, etc.
3. Idolatry is as the sin of Witchcraft --- I Samuel 15:23, "For rebellion [is as] the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness [is as] iniquity and idolatry."
D. This curse would even include attempting to keep something Previously Dedicated To Satan but is now used in God's service.
1. God will not allow anything used in the service of Satan to be used in His service.
2. This would include musical instruments, artwork, artifacts, etc. --- All this is to be destroyed.
3. God can and does use Men previously dedicated to Satan's service --- How? --- Because Christ Suffered The Destruction deserved by the man or woman.
4. Christ died for the Curses Upon Men --- not the Curses Upon Objects.
E. Exodus 20:4-5, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;"
VII. Pseudo-Christians Who Preach, Believe, or Practice A False Gospel.
A. These are Not true believers (Christians).
B. Galatians 1:8-9, "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."
C. Revelation 22:18-19, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."
D. Jeremiah 17:5, "Thus saith the LORD; Cursed [be] the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD."
E. Isaiah 31:1, "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because [they are] many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD!"
F. I Corinthians 16:22, "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha."
Please Send Your Questions By E- Mail Comments Also Welcome Return To Top Return To Home Page Return To Northgate B.C.