Winning The Lost To The Saviour
II Corinthians 5:17-6:2
A. Our Marching Orders are found in the Saviour's words in: Matt. 28:19, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:46-49, John 20:21-23, and Acts 1:8.
B. Every Christian must be Constantly On The Job of winning the lost to the Saviour.
C. The title of our message contains three very important words --- Winning --- Lost --- and Saviour.
1. These key-words Emphasize The Responsibility of every Christian to be a soul-winner.
2. They indicate ways in which we may engage in this glorious and high calling.
I. First, Think of The Word Saviour.
A. Surely, this the Most Precious of All The Names given to our Lord.
1. It was given by Divine Announcement (Matt. 1:21).
2. Mary (the mother of Jesus) spoke of Jesus as "my Saviour" (Luke 1:47).
B. Our Lord Jesus Christ made it clear that the Primary Purpose of His coming, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension was the Salvation of Men And Women.
C. He left Heaven for the Purpose of Saving The Lost.
1. Luke 19:10, "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
2. I Timothy 1:15, "This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."
D. Jesus did not come primarily to be our Teacher, Reformer, Example, or King --- He Came To Save The Lost.
1. He is a Universal Saviour --- He is the Saviour of all men.
a. John 1:29, "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
b. John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
c. John 10:9, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." --- 10:16, "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd."
d. Romans 10:12-13, "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
2. He is the Only Saviour --- there is none other.
a. Isaiah 45:22, "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else."
b. John 10:7-9, "Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."
c. John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
d. Acts 4:12, "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
3. He is a Perfect Saviour --- no case is too hard for Him.
Hebrews 7:25, "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."
II. Think of The Word Lost.
A. Why Was It Necessary for the Saviour to suffer and die?
--- because Apart From Him All Men Are Lost.
B. This solemn word "Lost" describes the Deep Spiritual Need of everyone who is without Christ.
C. To Be Lost is --- to be Perishing.
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
D. To be lost is --- to be Under Condemnation.
John 3:18, "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
E. To be lost is --- to be Under The Wrath of God.
John 3:36, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."
F. To be lost is --- to be Spiritually Dead.
Ephesians 2:1, "And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins;"
G. To be lost is --- to be Bound For A Christless Eternity.
Luke 13:24-28, "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you [yourselves] thrust out."
III. Think of The Word Winning.
A. Our Saviour's Greatest Passion is the winning of the lost --- the Greatest Need of every lost person is to be saved.
1. Winning the lost at any cost is to be the Supreme Business of every Christian.
2. This is the Lord's Purpose, Plan, and Program for every Christian.
B. The word "Win" (as in Prov. 11:30) is used in a Variety of Ways:
1. It is used of Taking A City --- a Military Phrase
--- Wisdom, Skill, Patience and Endurance are needed to win a city!
2. It is used in reference to Catching Fish --- (Matt. 4:19)
--- Perseverance and Faith are often needed before success comes!
3. It is used of Captivating Human Affection
--- A Bridegroom is said to Win His Bride --- which is not always easy.
4. It is used of An Athletic Contest
--- we speak of winning a race, a game or a competition.
IV. But, How Are We To Win Souls?
A. Recognize That Winning The Lost To The Saviour Is Your Life Work.
1. Luke 2:49, "And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?"
2. John 20:21, "Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you."
B. Place Yourself At The Disposal of Our Lord.
1. Mark 1:17, "And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men."
2. God is not interested in your ABILITY --- He is interested in your AVAILABILITY.
C. Trust The Lord To Use You In His Own Way And Time.
Genesis 24:27, "And he said, Blessed [be] the LORD God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I [being] in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master's brethren."
D. Ask Him To Show You What To Do.
1. We must PLAN to win souls:
a. As a general sets out to win a battle,
b. As a fisherman sets out to catch fish,
c. As a lover sets out to win his bride,
d. As an athlete sets out to win a contest ...
2. Make a list of those whom you would win.
3. Pray regularly for them.
4. Seek contact with them.
5. Be interested in their interests.
6. Keep on keeping on until they are won.
E. Be Prepared For The Lord To Use You Where You Are.
F. Be Willing To Be A Link In The Chain of God's Purposes.
God rarely uses only one instrument in the salvation of a soul.
G. Always Remember That You Are Only An Instrument In His Hands.
I Corinthians 3:7-9, "So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building."
Lord, lay some soul upon my heart
And love that soul through me.
Help me that I may do my part
To win that soul to Thee.
A Search For The Truth