"He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love." --- (SofS 2:4)
Travis Case, Pastor/Teacher Northgate Baptist Church F.E.A.S.T Ministries
I. The Work of The Holy Spirit.
A. He Called us to Eternal Life.
Rev. 22:17, "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come . And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
B. He Convinces and Convicts of Sin, Righteousness, Judgment and Unbelief.
John 16:8-11, "And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."
C. It is evidently He that Draws Us to the Father.
John 6:44, "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him : and I will raise him up at the last day."
D. He Teaches and Guides into truth.
John 16:13, "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself ; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."
E. He Testifies of Christ.
John 15:26, "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me :"
F. He Shows Us the things of Christ.
John 16:14, "He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you ."
G. He Makes Alive the dead but penitent soul through the grace of God.
Eph. 2:1, "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;"
H. He is the Divine Agent of eternal life.
Titus 3:5, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost ;"
I. He Sheds Abroad in our hearts the Love of God.
Rom. 5:5, "And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."
J. He is Godís Agent in our Justification and Sanctification.
1 Cor. 6:11, "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God ."
K. He puts the Divine Seal on our spiritual Sonship.
Eph. 4:30, "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
L. He gives Constant Witness of our Acceptance with God.
Rom. 8:16, "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit , that we are the children of God:"
M. It is by the Marks of His Leadership that we are to demonstrate to the world that we belong to Christ.
Rom. 8:14, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."
N. Our Daily Victories over the Flesh and the Devil are to be won through His Power.
Rom. 8:13, "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."
O. We are to Look To Him for Strength in the Inner Man.
Eph. 3:16, "That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;"
P. He is the heavenly instrumentality through whom our Mortal Bodies are to be Made Alive and brought back from the grave.
Rom. 8:11, "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
Q. It is He who Intercedes for us in our prayers and taskes.
Rom. 8:26, "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."
R. He is our Comforter in sorrow.
John 14:16, "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter , that he may abide with you for ever;"
S. He is our Power in Praying, Testifying, Preaching, Teaching and otherwise Winning Men To Christ.
Luke 24:49, "And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high ."
Our Dependence On The Work of The Holy Spirit Is Absolute And Complete.
II. Manifestation of The Holy Spirit.
A. He Has Promised To Go:
1. Before Us --- Isaiah 45:2, "I will go before thee , and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:"
2. Behind Us --- Isaiah 58:8, "Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward ."
3. Beneath Us --- Deut. 33:27, "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms : and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them."
4. With Us --- Matt. 28:20, "Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway , even unto the end of the world. Amen."
5. Upon Us --- Acts 1:8, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you : and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. "
6. All Around Us --- Matt. 3:11, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost , and with fire:"
B. He Has Promised To Hold Us With The Right Hand of His Righteousness.
Isaiah 41:10, "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness ."
C. He Has Promised To Never Let Us Fall.
Jude 24, "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling , and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,"
John 10:28, "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand ."
III. Conditions For Receiving The Holy Spirit:
A. The Spiritís power is an Absolute Necessity in winning men to Christ --- There is No Substitute for the power of the Spirit of God.
1, Personality .....
2. Eloquence and charm .....
3. Profound learning and great scholarship .....
4. Culture and a graciousness of manner .....
B. Certain Spiritual Conditions Must Be Met If We Are To Be Endued With This Power:
1. A Spiritual Apprehension, an Intellectual Comprehension, and an Inner Appropriation of the Word of God.
a. We must have more than a scholarly knowledge of the Word of God.
b. We must feed on it.
2. An Obedience to the whole will of God.
a. Godís redemptive program must be adopted by our souls, and our part in that plan cheerfully accepted.
Acts 5:32, "And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him ."
b. We must go further than an obedience to His will.
c. We must know in our deepest spiritual natures a divine mastery .
3. An inner, psychic Enthronement of Jesus Christ as Lord and Master.
a. Christ must sit on His rightful throne in our hearts, and self must be daily crucified.
b. Christ delights to give power in the heart where He has been glorified.
4. A genuine Compassion for men out of Christ.
a. The soul that longs for menís salvation will, by that very fact, be clothed with the power from God with which to win them to Christ.
Isaiah 58:10-11, "And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity , and thy darkness be as the noonday: 11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not .í
b. In the proportion that we care for menís souls we will cry for Godís power to win them.
5. Earnest and Persistent Prayer and supplication for this power of the Spirit.
(1) Opens our hearts,
(2) Submits us to Godís will,
(3) Fixes our souls so that the Spirit can fill us with power.
b. We must pray in order to have the fulfillment of the Fatherís promise of power.
c. Victory does not come to prayerless Christians.
6. A Willingness to partake of the Afflictions and Sacrifices of the Gospel.
Rom. 8:17, "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together ."
Paul --- Acts 5:41, "And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name ."
C. The Power of the Holy Spirit.
1. When we possess the unction of the Holy Spirit, it makes a difference in everything about us.
2. It increases tenfold our spiritual efficiency.
3. It multiplies our joy in service.
4. The lost will flock to our ministry, and a thousand opportunities will open to us.
D. The Filling With The Holy Spirit.
1. A Prayer to be Offered.
Luke 11:13, "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him ?"
2. A Command to be Obeyed.
Eph. 5:18, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit ;"
3. A Promised to be Claimed.
John 16:7, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you ."
4. A Gift to be Received.
John 20:22, "And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost :"
Pray, Obey, Claim, receive, Volunteer, Enthrone Christ, Go Forth To Win In His Power --- And Victory Will Be Yours.
Top of Page Home Page Sermon Outlines