How To Have Beautiful Feet
Introduction: --- Life-Style Evangelism:
A. Witnessing IS --- Building Relationships based on God's love for others.
Witnessing is NOT --- Buttonholing people and giving them a Hard Sell.
B. Witnessing IS --- Primarily a means of Communication Used By God --- the Holy Spirit --- to reach another person through me.
Witnessing is NOT --- Primarily the force of My Personality (natural charm and persuasiveness) Coercing a response from another person --- it is Not Closing A Sale.
C. Witnessing IS --- Inviting others to enjoy a Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ.
Witnessing is NOT --- Arguing with people until they agree with my point of view about Religion or the Church.
D. Witnessing IS --- Sharing face-to-face in a Positive, Sensitive Way.
Witnessing is NOT --- Talking Down at people.
E. Witnessing IS --- Person-Centered --- an expression of Love given with No Strings Attached.
Witnessing is NOT --- Method-Centered --- nor is it Manipulation.
1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 - 128 - 256 - 512 - 1,024 - 2,048 - 4,096 -8,192 - 16,384 - 32,768 -65,536 - 132,072 - 262,144 - 524,288 - 1,048,576 - 2,097,152 - 4,194,304 - 8,388,608 - 16,777,216 - 33,554,432 - 67,108,864 - 134,217,728 - 268,435,456 - 536,870,912 -1,073,741,824 - 2,147,483,648 - 4,294,967,296 - 8,589,934,592
Witnessing The Way Jesus Did:
I. Live A Separated Life.
Galatians 4:19, "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,"
Acts 4:13, "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."
II. Be Clean And Neat:
A. Watch your breath --- Comb your hair.
B. Wear clean and fresh clothes.
C. Have a little self-respect --- You are representing the Lord Jesus Christ.
III. Be Soul-Conscious.
A. Carry a New Testament with you at all times.
B. Meet People Socially --- get involved in the Community --- commit each meeting to God --- consider God's Purpose in them.
C. Capitalize On The Situation --- expect God to direct you.
D. Spark Their Spiritual Interest --- make interesting statements about your experience --- ask interesting questions about their experience.
E. Present Christ Openly --- do Not Be Ashamed of Him.
Mark 8:38, "Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."
IV. Pray And Claim The Spirit's Fullness Before Going.
A. Go believing.
B. Avoid condemning --- allow the Holy Spirit to convict.
V. Keep Your Mind On Your Business As You Approach The House.
A. Eyes Survey The House and yard for Interest Centers --- don't cut across the lawn.
1. Style of architecture of the house.
2. Landscaping (any valuable shrubs you might recognize).
3. General nature of homes on the street.
4. Toys in the yard (indicating children).
5. Car in the drive way (especially if new).
6. A boat or house trailer within view.
7. Open garage door revealing a shop, tools, unusual deep freeze, etc.
8. Dog penned in the yard.
B. On Reaching The Steps Cease Your Conversation.
1. Knock and Step Back --- when door opens Shift Weight Backward.
2. Wear a Smile and Look Pleasant --- Enthusiasm is more contagious than measles.
VI.Greet The Person At The Door, Introduce Yourself, And Invite Yourself In.
A. "I trust your are not busy, we would like to come in and visit with you a few minutes if we may."
B. Memorize the Name of the family.
C. Be Careful About Going In --- party --- guest --- etc.
VII. If No One Is At Home --- Leave Tracts Or Absentee Door Hanger.
VIII. Be Nice --- You Are In Their Home --- Not The Pulpit.
A. Be Complimentary --- Interest Centers ---- (#5)
B. Find Common Interest --- place the emphasis on the Other Person.
C. Never acknowledge any Apology --- shift the conversation to interest centers or an object of pride.
D. Don't Smoke or use any other Questionable Habits.
E. Never Argue --- touchiness is conceit with a hair trigger.
IX. Get The T.V. Off If Possible.
A. Stopping in front of the T.V. and calling attention to a prized object.
B. Sitting so the householder must turn his head away from the set to talk with you.
C. Lowering your voice, so that the set drowns you out.
D. Continually repeating, "What did you say? I didn't hear you."
E. Saying, "Oh, if this is your favorite T.V. program, we can come back at another time."
F. Ask them to turn it off or "Did I come at a bad time?"
G. Ask if you may go with them to the kitchen or some other room where you may talk.
X. Be A Good Listener --- Let The One You Are Visiting Talk of His Interest For A While.
A. Show every indication of being Keenly Interested.
1. People enjoy talking to those who demonstrate Enthusiastic Interest in them.
2. It is a Modern Miracle to meet a person who is more interested in you --- than he is in himself.
B. Lean forward at times as if trying not to miss a word.
C. Let the raising of the eyebrows reveal you appreciate what is being said.
D. Be eager to Go Beyond Their Comments and learn more about the things in which they show an interest.
XI. Assume A Relaxed Position --- Use Natural Gestures --- Talk Naturally.
A. Most Christians stop being natural when they witness --- they become Stiff And Mechanical.
B. A Christian trying to witness under extreme Tension has everything against him:
1. He can't think clearly.
2. He does not want to witness because he is scared.
3. His every word and move are betraying him to the lost person.
4. He is creating a tense atmosphere.
XII. Don't Wait Too Long To Begin Witnessing.
A. Delay is doom --- the longer you wait the harder it gets.
B. The Christian who waits too long begins to cast about in his mind for a reason why: "it is impossible to witness to him now; I'll come back some other time."
C. The devil wins a total victory when this point is reached.
XIII. Avoid Discussing Church Membership.
A. No where in the New Testament do Christians go forth inviting lost people to join the church.
B. When you talk to an unsaved person about the church --- you are driving deeper and deeper into his mind the idea of Salvation By Works.
C. The Appeal of The Church and church attendance --- to a lost person --- is Absolute Zero.
D. It is not only Not Witnessing --- it is harmful:
1. It hardens lost people to Christian visitors.
2. It forms the habit of meeting everything pertaining to Christ with a "no" or "later" attitude.
3. It dethrones the power of Christ in salvation and brings it down to a state of "salvation by going to church".
E. It is only After A Man Is Saved that the church comes to have its rich and full meaning.
XIV. Control --- Not Dominate --- The Conversation.
A. "F" --- Family interest --- car, hobbies, children, vacations, home, furnishing, etc.
B. "O" --- Occupation --- husband's, wife's, or young adults in the family.
C. "R" --- Religious background --- former church home, pleasant church memories.
D. "M" --- Message --- depends on the service level of the caller.
1. Caller --- centered message.
2. Church --- centered message.
3. Christ --- centered message.
XV. Stick To The Subject.
A. Refuse to be side-tracked by Unrelated Matters.
B. "That's a good question, remind me in just a minute and we'll discuss it, but right now .....
XVI. Draw A Map In Your Bible:
A. John 3:3, 1:13, 3:6-7A. Rom. 3:10
B. John 6:63B. Rom. 3:23
C. Rom. 7:18, 8:7-8C. Rom. 6:23
D. Rom. 6:23D. Rom. 5:8
E. Rev. 20:14-15E. Rom. 10:9-13
F. 2 Peter 3:9
G. Rom. 5:8
H. John 1:12, 3:16-18
I. John 3:19-20
J. John 5:24
XVII. Ask Them, "Are You A Christian?" --- Find Some Way To Get Them Lost --- Ask The Question In A Different Way.
A. If you were to die right now, Do You Know that you would go to heaven?
B. When you stand before God and He ask you: "Why Should I Allow You Into My Heaven?" --- what would you say?
C. Use Another or Different Approach: --- Ask Them:
1. Are you Interested in spiritual things?
2. Have you ever though of becoming a Christian?
3. Suppose someone were to ask you: --- "What Is A Christian?" --- what would you say?
4. This approach does the following things:
a. Emphasized the fact that a Christian IS something rather than DOES something.
b. Gives you Instant Insight of his understanding of spiritual things.
c. The person is allowed to Show Himself that he is Not a Christian.
d. Tells you what is in his heart.
e. He is forced to Concentrate On His Own Needs.
f. The prospect is exhausted --- and Ready To Listen to you.
D. If I showed you from the Bible how you could become a Christian --- Would You Be Willing to do what the Bible says?
XVIII. Use The Short Method If The Long One Is Refused --- Or If They Are Already Knowledgeable Concerning The Plan of Salvation:
A. Do you realize that you are a sinner?
B. Do you realize that people who die in their sins go to hell?
C. Do you realize that Jesus Christ is God and that He suffered your hell for you?
D. Do you realize that being a Christian will mean a radical change in your lifestyle?
E. Do you believe that Jesus will save you if you trust Him?
(( Let me show you a scripture: ... John 3:16, 5:24 ))
XIX. If They Say "No" --- Then Ask: "Would You Mind If I Kept You On My Prayer List So That I Might Remember You In Prayer Daily?"
XX. The Key To Eternal Life
A. You must be born again.
1. John 3:3, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
2. John 1:13, "Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."
3. John 3:6-7, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."
4. If there is a need for a second birth --- then the First Birth Must Have Been Rejected.
B. Why was the first birth rejected?
1. No Profit --- John 6:63, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life."
2. No Good --- Romans 7:18, "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing:"
3. Cannot Please God --- Romans 8:7-8, "Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God."
C. What if you were to die in this condition?
1. Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
2. Revelation 20:14-15, "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
D. God want you to be saved!
II Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."
E. God loves you!
Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
F. Salvation is a free gift.
1. John 1:12, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:"
2. John 3:16-18, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
G. Why some are not saved.
John 3:19-20, "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved."
H. Your assurance of salvation.
John 5:24, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
XXI. Whichever Plan You May Use --- Explain And Review The Main Points To Be Sure He Understands.
A. Ask him, "Would you be willing for us to have a word of prayer and ask God to save you?"
B. Ask him to pray in his heart as you pray (Explain that it must be from the heart).
C. Lead him in prayer --- After the prayer --- ask him:
1. Did you ask God to save you?
2. Did you really mean it from your heart?
3. Did you trust Him to do so?
4. If you are receiving Christ as your Saviour --- would you signify that by taking my hand?
5. Lead him in a prayer of thanksgiving.
XXII. Lead Him To The Assurance of His Salvation.
A. John 5:24, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
1. "Where, According To God's Word, would you go if you were to die now?"
2. Then, you are Just As Saved As God's Word Is True --- and God cannot lie.
3. Salvation does Not Depend On How You Feel --- it depends on if you believe the Book.
B. The minute you do what God says in His Book, --- God does what He says He will do in His Book.
XXIII. Lead Him To A Public Profession of Faith.
A. Silly (foolish) ways in which you mighty Let Others Know that you are a Christian: --- Loudspeaker, circulares, newspapers, etc.
B. But, God's Way --- Baptism --- Local Church.
1. God never publicly said of His own Son that He was well pleased with Him until after He was baptized.
Mark 1:11, "And there came a voice from heaven, [saying], Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
2. We should Not Hid Our Testimony --- but rather put it on a candlestick so as to Glorify Our Father which is in heaven.
a. Matthew 5:14-16, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
b. Revelation 1:20, "The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."
c. Ephesians 3:21, "Unto him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."
XXIV. Be Sure He Comes To Church.
A. Go By And Get The Convert The Next Sunday.
1. Arrange for certain members to meet your new friends.
2. Sit with the new convert in the service.
3. At the close of the service offer to go down the aisle with him.
B. Use The "Buddy" System.
1. Accompany him to his car after services.
2. Within a week, ask him over to your house for refreshments.
3. Appoint a committee to go by and see the new converts, as well as the new church members.
C. Remember Him In Your Prayers.
XXV. What About Organized Visitation?
A. Have A Definite Time To Go.
B. Go Two By Two.
1. There is increased authority.
2. Approaching a strange house is far less fearful.
3. It is harder to fail to go when a partner is waiting for you.
C. Go With Different People.
D. Only One Do The Talking --- the one who gets the inroad --- or decide in advance.
E. Duties of The Silent Partner:
1. Get the soul-winner and lost person seated together.
2. Be prepared to handle all interruptions and leave the soul-winner free to bring his man to a decision.
3. Engage a visiting friend in conversation.
4. Baby sit.
5. Ask for a drink of water.
6. Answer the door or phone.
A Search For The Truth