"... the joy of the LORD is your strength." (Neh. 8:10)
What Must We Do To Have Victory In The Midst of Adversity?
We Must Re-Establish Our Identity!
, "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, [and] curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all [my members] were written, [which] in continuance were fashioned, when [as yet there was] none of them."
I John 3:1-2, "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."I. Notice --- The Loss of Your Identity:
A. Adversity can lead to a Deep Feeling of Incompleteness.
1. This vacancy can only be filled with a Deeper and more Meaningful Relationship With God.
2. Adversity can become the very basis for a Renewed Purpose In Life.
B. Death --- There is a sense of loss of identity after the Loss of A Husband / Wife.
1. The loss of a mate thrusts you into the position of a single person once again.
2. All your faculties were geared to a life shared with someone.
3. This sudden change in roles leaves you with a peculiar loss of identity.
C. Must of this loss of identity stems from a Deep Feeling of Incompleteness.
1. A union and oneness of spirit has taken place in varying degrees in each marriage.
2. The adjustment to the Physical Absence of the mate is, perhaps, Not the most difficult.
3. The absence of that Spiritual Part of us that has been united in marriage is more difficult to face.
D. The Various Elements Affecting The Speed And Degree of Your Recovery of Identity Are:
1. Your temperament and your independence,
2. Your activity outside the home,
3. Your health,
4. The closeness, oneness, and happiness of your marriage,
5. Your spiritual gift and how you employ it,
6. The extent of your formal education,
7. The type of family life from which you came,
8. Your degree of spiritual maturity,
9. The dept of your personal relationship with Jesus Christ and your trust in His Word,
10. The extent of your involvement in a strong, spiritual church,
11. The number of mature, strong spiritual friends upon whom you can rely,
12. The number, ages, and abilities of your children,
13. Your fear of the future without your mate,
14. Your attitude towards seeking another "mate" or remaining single,
15. The degree of self-worth and the type of self-image you have.
(( Especially For Women ))
16. Whether or not she has held employment and is again able to enter the labor market.
17. Amount of financial security she has received from her husband's insurance or family assistance.
18. Whether her parents are still alive and if they are able to offer any spiritual, moral and financial aid.
E. The Adjustment To The Loss of The Spiritual Union can only be made through the Application of Spiritual Principles.
F. It is through these very circumstances that God is seeking to thrust you into:
1. A search for Deeper Spiritual Truths.
2. A very Unique Relationship With Himself.
3. A keener Awareness of Your True Identity.
II. Steps To Take In Regaining Your Sense of Identity:
A. Examine your present position in life by --- recognizing that Your Circumstances Are No Accident.
1. They are a part of God's Will And Plan for your life.
2. They will work for your good:
Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."
Psalms 37:23, "The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way."
B. Examine your present position in life by --- accepting the fact that This Point of Your Life Is Not An Ending.
1. Recognize that it is a Redirecting of Your Life and Assets to a more valuable life in Christ.
2. By a direct act of your will you can accept this as a Stopping Point or move on into New And Greater Dimensions.
C. Examine your present position in life by --- Recognizing that this adversity places you into a Total Dependence Upon God.
1. Adversity (or defeat) has always held a stigma of Loneliness, Pity, leaving us with a negative attitude toward ourselves.
2. You can choose to accept the Spiritual Values of adversity or the Carnal Way --- You Do Have A Choice!
D. Examine Your Attitudes And Feelings!
1. We need to Weed Out Bad Responses And Attitudes toward adversity.
2. Some responses and attitudes tend only to Grieve Us More And Make Things Worse.
E. You should be Open And Truthful with Yourself and with God about your feelings.
1. You should Not Bury Them and Pretend That They Do Not Exist.
2. You should (With Thanksgiving) make all your wants known to God. (Phil. 4:6)
F. You should Confess Your Feelings to God, asking forgiveness and help in overcoming any that are wrong:
(( Guilt --- Self-Pity --- Bitterness --- Rebellion --- Worry --- Doubt --- Etc. ))
Hebrews 12:15, "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble [you], and thereby many be defiled;"
G. You should Not Be Afraid of Your Feelings but should commit them to God and rely on Him to strengthen and control them.
Psalms 37:5, "Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring [it] to pass."
H. Be Open About Your Needs And Feelings But Resist The Spirit of Complaining And Self-Pity.
1. God may want to provide some of your needs through others --- but They Must Know what they are.
2. But Guard Against Complaining to others and having a Negative Attitude.
3. Philipians 4:11, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content."
I. Guard Against Bitter Feelings over unfulfilled promises from well meaning friends and relatives.
1. Expect God to provide your needs and look to Him, not to man --- Allow God to choose the Source.
2. Philippians 4:19, "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
J. Negative Attitudes may develop from Evaluating yourself and your circumstances By The Way The World Sees Them.
1. The world does not understand God's way.
2. Your Circumstances Were Prepared By God To Accomplish His Purpose In Your Life.
3. Romans 12:2, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
There Is No Second Chance After Death!
Prayer Request Personal E-Mail Questions