"He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love." --- (SofS 2:4)
Travis Case, Pastor/Teacher Northgate Baptist Church F.E.A.S.T Ministries
A. Some things that may be said about a Christian:
1. He comes to church,
2. He is active in the Lordís service,
3. He live a clean life,
4. He stands up for what is right,
5. He gives his money generously.
B. But, the Best thing you can say about a Christian is that He Is Faithful.
1. If he is faithful he will do all these other things.
2. But, he can do all of these other things and still not be faithful.
I. Notice The Faithfulness of Others:
A. God is faithful.
1. To Save us.
1 Cor. 1:9, "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.."
2. To Cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 Thess. 5:23-24, "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it."
3. To Provide our needs.
Matt. 6:31-32, "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things."
4. To Answer our prayers.
Matt. 21:22, "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
John 14:13, "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."
5. To Forgive our sins.
1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
6. In times of Temptations.
1 Cor. 10:13, "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
7. In Life.
2 Tim. 2:13, "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."
8. In Death.
2 Tim. 2:11, "It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:"
B. The Disciples were faithful.
1. They gave up their lives rather than be unfaithful to Christ.
2. Rev. 2:10, "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."
C. Others have been faithful
Hebrews 11 --- Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sara, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, Rahab, Gedeon, Samson, David, Samuel, and many others.
Heb. 11:33-34, "Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens."
Also --- John Bunyan, Charles G. Finney, A. J. Gordon, D. L. Moody, R. A. Torrey, Charles H. Spurgeon, Billy Sunday, Jonathan Edwards, etc.
II. Different Motives For Faithfulness.
A. In order to Get Something From God.
1. Many Unjustly use Jacob as an example.
Gen. 28:20-22, "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If (whereas or since) God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, 21 So that I come again to my fatherís house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: 22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be Godís house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."
2. This is the Lowest Motive --- Example: we should Not tithe just for what we can get from God.
3. We should Tithe Because:
a. Abraham commenced it,
b. Jacob continued it,
c. Moses commanded it,
d. Jesus commended it,
e. We can not cancel it.
B. Because of what God Has Done for you.
1. Jacob --- as we have seen.
2. David --- Psalm 116:12, "What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?"
3. This is the Higher Motive but not the highest.
4. What if Hardships instead of Blessings come.
C. In Spite of Anything That Happens To Me.
1. Job --- Job 2:9, "Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." --- 13:15, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him."
2. This is the Highest Motive.
3. This is the kind of Loyalty we need today.
D. Too Many People Let Little Things Sweep Them off Their Feet.
1. Donít like the preacher.
2. Church not run to suit them,
3. Someone talked about them,
4. Someone else was elected to the position they felt they deserved.
5. So What! --- You must be Loyal To Christ in spite of these things.
E. Peter Asked Jesus, "What plans do you have for John?"
Jesus Answered, "That is none of your business, you follow me."
III. How Can We Show Our Faithfulness (Loyalty) To Christ.
A. By Consecrated, Consistent Christian living.
1. The Spasmodic Off-And-On Christian will never have any influence for Christ.
2. Maybe you cannot:
a. Speak in public,
b. Sing a solo,
c. Give large sums of money,
3. But, you can be:
b. Consecrated, and
c. Consistent in your Christian living.
B. By Standing up for your Convictions.
1. Do you just have Opinions instead of Convictions?
2. We need men of convictions.
C. By your Obedience.
1. Baptism ...
2. Church membership ...
D. By Loyalty to His Church.
1. Many Christians are giving their lives to things that do Not Count For God.
2. One hour of Spiritual teaching on Sunday will not combat five days of atheistic teaching in our schools.
E. By Witnessing For Christ.
John 20:21, "Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you."
Luke 6:46, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"
F. By giving God The Glory.
1 Cor. 3:6-7, "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase."
1 Cor. 1:31, "That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."
God Is Faithful:
Heb. 2:17, "Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people."
Top of Page Home Page Sermon Outlines