"... the joy of the LORD is your strength." (Neh. 8:10)
A. Satanism emerged as part of The Occult Revival that began in the 1960's --- However, many do not believe in a literal devil.
1.Freud wrote that demons are merely "the products of the Psychic Activity of man,"
2.Bertrand Russell states: "God and Satan alike are essentially human figures, the one a projection of ourselves, the other of our enemies."
3. Arthur Lyons says: "Satan is an archetype, a force embedded in man's unconscious, a remnant of his psychological revelution. Satan is the child of fear, and fear is innate of all men."
"Satan first appeared in the Sixth Century B.C., In Persia, under the name of Angra Mainyu."
B. In 1982 George Gallup, Jr. reported:
1. Only 34% of adult Americans believe in the devil as a "Personal being who directs evil forces and influences people to do wrong."
2. 36% believe in the devil as "an Impersonal Force that influences people to do wrong."
C. Amazingly, many who profess faith in God:
1. Question the existence of a Personal Devil.
2. Casually relegate demons to the reams of Folklore and Superstition.
I. How Did The Devil And Demons Originate?
A. Satan (Lucifer) had been the Most Glorious And Exalted Angel ever created by God.
1. He was given the Reign and Rule by God over the Earth and the Universe --- over the Physical and Material world.
2. However, Satan began to want to live Like He Wanted rather than to live As God Wanted.
a. He want to rule and reign over the universe as he wanted --- Without Answering To God.
b. He wanted to possess the Ultimate Authority over the world --- to be His Own Man --- to do His Own Thing --- to Control His Own Life ...
B. So, Lucifer Rebelled Against God!
Isaiah 14:12-15, "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."
Ezekiel 28:11-17, "Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. 13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. 16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. 17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee."
Jesus, Himself, said that Isaiah was Referring To Satan --- Luke 10:18, "And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
C. The Angels Who Followed Satan became the Demons or Evil Spirits that make up his Kingdom of Darkness. --- (Matt. 12:26).
1. Revelation 12:4, "And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born." --- V. 7, "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,"
2. Matthew 25:41, "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:"
D. What demons are Not:
1. Demon possession is not merely a Superstitious Explanation of Certain Diseases.
2. Demons are not the Spirits of Deceased Men.
a. Josephus, the Jewish Historian, viewed demons as: "the spirits of the wicked that enter into men that are alive."
b. This explanation is apparently a reflection of Greek thought and has No Foundation In Biblical Truth.
3. Demons are not the Disembodied Spirits of A Pre-Adamite Race of humanity on the earth.
I Corinthians 15:45, "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit."
4. Demons are not the Unnatural Offspring of Angels And Antediluvian Women.
a. This brings up the question: "Can Demons Co-Habit And Pro-Create With Humans?
b. Any unnatural offspring of demons, during the days of Noah, Sodom and Gomorrha, etc., Died Just As Any Other Living Thing --- their human body had no more power of life than does yours.
E. What demons Are:
1. The Bible presents Demons as Spiritual Beings:
a. Matthew 8:16, "When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with [his] word, and healed all that were sick:"
b. In Luke 10:17, when the seventy returned and joyfully declared, "Lord even the devils are subject unto us through thy name." --- Our Lord replied in V. 20, "... in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you;"
c. In Matt. 17:18, "The Devil" who went out of the lunatic boy is called "The Foul Spirit" in Mark 9:25.
d. Paul emphatically declares that Satan And His Demons Are Spirits.
Ephesians 6:12, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]."
2. Demons do Not possess a Permanent Material Body of their own.
a. Luke 24:39, "... a spirit hath not flesh and bones,..."
b. They may Take On The Form of A Human Body on a Temporality basis.
Jude 1:7, "Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."
Genesis 18:22, "And the men (angels) turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD."
c. Demons are also capable of entering in and Assuming Control of a human body.
(( More about this later ))
d. Demons are capable of Speaking and Acting through it, and even Possessing It, as if it were their own property.
3. Demons Are Not Only Unconfined Fallen Angels But Also Include Confined or Imprisoned Fallen Angels.
a. Apparently Demons Expelled From Possessed People were automatically confined to the prison of depraved spirits.
Luke 8:31, "And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep."
b. Revelation 9:2, "And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit." --- V. 11, "And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon (Destruction), but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon (Destroyer)."
c. This is evidently a Prison For Evil Spirits, who are apparently too depraved and harmful to be allowed to roam upon the earth.
4. The purpose of this lesson is not to discuss the confined evil spirits but rather those who are not confined.
a. Again --- People Who Deny The Existence And The Activities of Demons Today, Are Revealing Their Rejection or Ignorance of God's Word!
b. Unless, The Reality And Purpose of Satan And Demons Are Acknowledged, Some of These Problems Will Not Be Solved.
II. The Word of God Affirms The Reality of Supernatural Demons In The World Today.
A. Luke 10:17-18, "And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
B. Satan reigns over a Kingdom of Darkness organized in opposition to God.
Matthew 12:26, "And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?"
C. The New Testament Presents Overwhelming Evidence For The Existence of Demons.
1. Matthew 15:22, "And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, [thou] son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil."
2. Mark 5:1-2, "And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes. And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit," --- V. 8-9, "For he said unto him, Come out of the man, [thou] unclean spirit. And he asked him, What [is] thy name? And he answered, saying, My name [is] Legion: for we are many."
3. Luke 4:33-35, "And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, Saying, Let [us] alone; what have we to do with thee, [thou] Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God. And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not."
Are there "Clean" devils? ---
II Corinthians 11:13-15, "For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works."
4. Luke 6:17-18, "And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases; And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed."
5. I Timothy 4:1, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"
D. People Who Deny The Existence And The Activities of Demons Today Are Revealing Their Rejection and/or Ignorance of Gods Word.
III. Satan is Described in Scriptures as:
1. Abaddon (Rev. 9:11).
2. Accuser of The Brethren (Rev. 12:10).
3. Angel of The Bottomless Pit (Rev. 9:11).
4. Apollyon (Rev. 9:11).
5. Beelzebub (Matt. 12:24, Mark 3:22, Luke 11:15).
6. Belial (2 Cor. 6:15).
7. Deceiver of the whole world (2 Cor. 11:3, Rev. 12:9).
8. Devil, which means the slander (Matt. 4:1, 5, 8, 11; Luke 4:2-6, 13; 1 Peter 5:8; Rev. 20:2).
9. Enemy (Matt. 13:39).
10. Evil One (Matt. 6:13, 13:19, 38).
11. Father of Lies (John 8:44).
12. Gates of Hell (Matt. 16:18).
13. God of This World who blinds men's minds (2 Cor. 4:4).
14. Great Red Dragon (Rev. 12:3).
15. Lying Spirit (1 Kings 22:22).
16. Murderer (John 8:44).
17. Old Serpent (Rev. 12:9, 20:2, cp. Gen. 3:4, 14; 2 Ccor. 11:3).
18. Power of Darkness (Col. 1:13).
19. Prince of Devils (Matt. 12:24).
20. Prince of This World (John 12:31, 14:20, 16:11, Eph. 2:2, 6:12).
21. Ruler of Darkness of This World (Eph. 6:12).
22. Satan, which means the adversary (1 Chron. 21:1, Job 1:6, 2:1-6, Zech 3:1, Matt. 4:10, Mark 1:13, Luke 4:8, John 13:27, Acts 5:3, 26:18, rom. 16:20).
23. Spirit that works in the Children of Disobedience (Eph. 2:2).
24. Tempter (Matt. 4:3, 1 Thess. 3:5).
25. Unclean Spirit (Matt. 12:43).
26. Wicked One (Matt. 13:19, 38).
IV. Since The Devil Was Defeated And Cast Out --- Therefore Losing His Control And Reign Over The Earth --- Does The Devil Have Any Control or Influence Upon The World And Man Today? --- And If So, Where And How Did He Gain It Back?
A. Man was given Dominion and Rule over the Earth.
Genesis 1:27-28, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."
B. When Man Obeyed (put himself Under The Rule of) the Devil --- He Relinquished His Dominion To Lucifer.
Romans 6:16, "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"
Luke 4:5-7, "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. 7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine."
C. Scriptures talks about the Devil's Influence In This World.
2 Corinthians 4:3-4, "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."
Ephesians 2:2, "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:" --- 6:12, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
Matthew 4:8-9, "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me."
1 John 5:19, "And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness."
D. Satan's Purpose is to Receive as much Power and Worship as possible --- He desires to Turn Every Person he can Away From God --- He does this by:
1. He Opposes and Disturbs God's Work in the world.
Job 2:1-6, "Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause. 4 And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 6 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life."
Mark 1:13, "And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him."
Revelation 12:7-10, "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night."
2. Satan Discourages Believers through Various Strategies.
Luke 22:31, "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"
Ephesians 6:10-12, "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
3. Satan Incites God's Justice Against Believers by leading them to Sin Against God.
Acts 5:3, "But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?"
V. Scripture Reveals An Intense Struggle Rages Between The "Seed of The Serpent" And The "Seed of The Woman."
A. Since the Fall of Man in the Garden of Eden, God's Saints Have Been The Object of Satanic Attack.
Ephesians 6:11-12, "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]." ((More about this later))
B. We need to remember: --- Satan knows Biblical Terminology.
1. He is also a master in Masquerading under the guise of Divine Power.
2. In seeking to be healed or helped --- Christians may become involved in some form of Demon-Energized magic.
Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
C. The Scope And Power of Modern Occultism staggers the imagination.
1. Many Neglect The Bible and seek enlightenment and comfort in the literature of Occultism and Metaphysics.
2. Millions are unwittingly Oppressed and Enslaved by the occult.
D. Satan cannot overcome the Christian's defenses, so long as they are Based In God's Holy Word.
1. In the measure that we Neglect or Abandon The Word of God --- demonism flourishes.
2. Ignorance of biblical truth breeds Gullibility --- Deception is easy when the Word of God is not taught.
3. When Jesus was tempted --- "It is written".
4. I John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."
E. Satan Did Everything He Could To Keep Jesus From Being Born!
Genesis 3:15, "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."
Revelation 12:4, "... and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born."
1. The line of Abel ---
Satan led Cain to kill Abel, but God gave Adam another son, Seth (Gen. 4:1).
2. The early line of the Godly Seed ---
Satan led the Godly line to mix with the ungodly and led them into such vile wickedness that God had to destroy the earth. But God raised up Noah (Gen. 6:5).
3. The line of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob ---
Satan led Esau to threaten to kill his brother, Jacob. But, God protected Jacob (Gen. 27:41).
4. The line of the Children of Israel ---
Satan led Pharaoh to attempt to kill all the Male Babies of Israel. But God saved Moses (Exo. 1:8).
5, The line of David ---
After failing to have Saul kill David, Satan led son after son of David into sin and to murder and disqualify themselves. But God always kept at least one son of David alive (2 Sam. 13)
6. The line of the Sons of David ---
Satan led Jehoram, one of Jehosophat's sons, to kill all his brothers. But God caused sons to be born to Jehoram to carry on the line (2 Chron. 21:1).
7. The line of Jehoshophat's Sons ---
Satan led an enemy to come in and kill all the sons but one --- Ahaziah (2 Kings 8:25).
8. The line of Ahaziah ---
Satan led Jehu to kill Ahaziah, and the queen's mother, Athaliah, took over the throne and killed all the sons. But led the wife of the high priest to save one small baby, Joash. At this point the line of the promised seed rested in the saving of this little baby's life (2 Kings 9:11).
9. The line of God's Chosen People ---
Satan led King Ahasuerus to exterminate all of God's people. But God gave him a most restless and frightening night of sleep. The king, therefore, spared the chosen line (Esther).
10. The Promised Seed, Jesus Himself --- At His Birth ---
Satan led King Herod to slay all the boy babies in Bethlehem in an attempt to kill the promised seed. But God warned Joseph and told Joseph to flee with the child to Egypt (Matt. 2:1).
11. The Promised Seed, Jesus Himself --- At His Temptation ---
Satan tempted Jesus to cast Himself down from the pinnacle of the temple (Matt. 4:1).
12. The Promised Seed, Jesus Himself --- At His Hometown, Nazareth ---
Satan led the citizens of Nazareth to try to cast Jesus off the cliff of a hill, but Jesus escaped (Luke 4:29).
13. The Promised Seed, Jesus Himself --- During His Ministry ---
Satan led the religious leaders to hate Jesus and to plot His death time and again, but Jesus escaped each time (John 7:1).
14. The Promised Seed, Jesus Himself --- On The Cross ---
Satan stirred up the people to mock Jesus and tempt him to come down from the cross. This not only failed, but Jesus rose from the dead (John 19).
If You Are Not Saved, Nothing Else Matters
There Is No Second Chance After Death!
Prayer Request Personal E-Mail Questions
Copyright © 1977-2003, F.E.A.S.T. Ministries, Travis Case, Irving, Texas